Current City: San Antonio, TX
Hometown: Killeen Tx
Hi Chelsey! Welcome to The Boss Diary! Before we begin, tell us 3 words that best describe you.
Creative, Independent, and Laidback
Tell us what you do professionally.
Right now, I’m currently juggling 3 different things. At my day job, I work in the financial industry as a training coordinator. Outside of that, I also am a contributor over at It’s Her Purpose. Last but certainly not least, I’m the founder of style site Venti Fashion, the place to help you maximize your wardrobe and incorporate trends without losing your personal style. Venti Fashion is my passion and side-hustle that I hope to convert to my full-time job further down the line!
I absolutely love your blog! So cute and so fashion-centric. How do you stay motivated as a blogger and Influencer in such a saturated market?
Thank you! I definitely have my days that lack motivation as we all do, but my love for style and helping others is what keeps me going! I love listening to a variety of podcasts in the business, blogging, and creative worlds for an extra boost of motivation. Learning about new influencer trends and the ever-changing world of social media keeps me on my toes so I learn how to adapt with each shift in the industry.
Everyone has a purpose, and it’s so refreshing to find women who are truly living their best life through their passions. How would you define your own purpose?
My purpose is to help adult women feel good about themselves. Confidence comes from within, but a good outfit will certainly help kick it up a notch! I grew up in a small town without any designer stores and my family didn’t have an endless income to spend on name brand clothing, yet my sister and I still managed to look nice. When I moved to a larger city for college, I started to notice a lot of people felt like style equated to having designer brands in your wardrobe. That certainly isn’t the case! Style comes from within, and a label doesn’t automatically mean you have it. I never want anyone to feel like they don’t have a good sense of style because they either can’t afford it or choose not to spend their money on luxury items. Although I would love to shop some of my favorite designers on a regular basis, it’s neither realistic nor necessary for a functional wardrobe. What’s important is knowing the basics of style and understanding how certain pieces mix and match together. That’s where I come in to help.
Who are some of your favorite female creatives or business women that you look up to?
There are so many, I could go on forever! I’ll name 3 to keep it short and sweet. I’m loving Monroe Steele of Fashion Steele NYC right now. Her journey to full-time blogging is so inspirational and she’s a joy to watch! Ashley Brooke is another creative I look up to because we actually went to the same university so her story feels extremely relatable. Seeing someone from my area move to New York and build a brand is a reminder that it’s truly possible! Issa Rae is also someone I look up to. Her journey from YouTube to HBO and beyond is so amazing to witness and I love her authenticity.
Tell me one thing that most people may not know about you.
Hmmm, I usually say that I’m a vegetarian (for now) but I think most people probably know that by now. Oh! One random thing that I don’t think many people know is that I randomly met Fantasia Barrino with 3 of my friends! This was back in high school around ‘04 or ‘05 and we were on a band trip to Dallas, Tx. I can’t remember which hotel we were staying in, but my friends and I were going back up to our room when we saw Fantasia in the hallway! She was in a rush but nice enough to say hi and take a picture with us! This pre-dates the iPhone so we took the picture on one of those disposable cameras. I still have that polaroid somewhere back at my parent’s house.
Name one thing that your hometown city is known for that some people may not know.
So I was born in Louisiana but I grew up in Killeen, Tx and consider that to be my hometown. I think it’s mostly known for being a military town since we have the Fort Hood military base there. And it’s about an hour away from Austin!
What would the “18-year old you,” say to you today?
Ohh, good question! 18-year old me feels so young and naive, looking back. I think she would say that she’s proud I found a way to express my love of style in a way that helps others. And that she loves how often I wear my natural curls. (18-year-old me would never!)
Before you go, what is one piece of advice you would give to women out there who want to start their own Fashion business?
OWN YOUR OWN SPACE. I put that in caps because it’s extremely important and something I think a lot of aspiring creatives lose sight of due to the social media boom. Instagram is a great tool for promoting yourself and your business, but you don’t own it at the end of the day. Invest in growing a community that visits your home base (aka your site) and build an e-mail list. Even if your fashion business is more product or service-based and less about creating content, you absolutely need an online presence that you own. Also, figure out what makes you different from the rest. What’s your “it” factor?
This or That:
- Thin crust or deep dish: Deep Dish! Go big or go home–it’s the Texan in me.
- Lipstick or chapstick: Ideally, both but I’m going with lipstick!
- Tea or coffee: Coffee for sure. Iced.
- Romance movie or horror film: Hmm..I’m not big on either genre but I have to go with romance over horror. I’m so not a fan of scary movies.
- J Lo or Shakira: Shakira!
- Instagram or Facebook: Instagram. Hands down.
- Girls Night Out or Netflix: Netflix! I love being cozy at home. GNO’s are fun on occasion, though!
- Where is your next vacation? New York!!!! I’m being an adult and budgeting this year so I actually wasn’t planning on traveling, but my mom recently decided to plan a girls trip for Mother’s Day. I went for the first time last year and fell in love, so I’m really excited to go back.
- What is your favorite 90’s jam? Ohhh, there are so many good ones but this one comes to mind because it’s iconic and I just listened to it the other day: No Doubt – Don’t Speak
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why? A cheetah because they’re fast, strong, and cute!
- If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why? I just saw Us over the weekend and was floored by Lupita N’yongo’s performance so I pick her! She would play me because she has the range and has an incredible sense of style.
- What are three things on your bucket list? To meet Rihanna, have my own fashion line, and visit New Zealand!