Current City: Buffalo
Hi Francesca! I am a huge fan of your blog – Vintage Lillies. Tell me about your blog and what inspired you to start?
Hi- thank you! I started my blog when I was 13 years old, about to start my first year of high school. Seven years later, here I am. My photography has definitely improved from using an old iPhone and the writing has gotten better since going to school for journalism. When I first started, I was obsessed with fashion magazines, blogs, books, any kind of outlet that showed street style. I loved the implementation of fashion, not just spreads of models wearing designer clothes but real people and real outfits. I especially loved vintage clothing and thrifting, which inspired my blog name. I wanted to show the world (which at the time consisted of my mom, dad, my closest friends, and maybe one stranger?) my take on style and trends, and ramble about life on an online platform that maybe someday, someone would read.
Outside of your blog, do you write for any other publications?
Today’s age is all about ‘The Digital Age’ Your feed is always beautiful and full of engaging content. How do you use Instagram to help build your brand?
Oo thank you! I love Instagram, not just for posting, but for getting daily style inspiration across the globe. I use one Instagram account for my blog and my personal photos because I’ve always believed in being transparent through my blog, and I like sharing my personal life as well as style with readers. I use Instagram to post sneak peek photos for new blog posts, as well as share photos with my friends, photos of the city, whatever pictures I like.
Besides Instagram, what other social media platforms do you use? Which platform do you find the most appealing for your brand?
I love Twitter, but mostly for news. I think Twitter is an awesome way to consume news because you can follow many different news organizations and reporters directly, as well as fashion blogs and brands. I also use Facebook for more personal stuff and to keep in touch with people I don’t see as often. As far as my blog content, Instagram is by far the most engaging.
Tell me about the most recent collaboration you’ve done. And are there any creatives in Buffalo (or outside of the city) that you’d like to work with?
I recently collaborated with my friend Lucy Lopez of Write.Style.Travel and the Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls on a blog post about Black Friday shopping effectively and what to buy others for the holiday season. I am pretty open to working with a wide variety of people and I would love to collaborate with more people over this next year, so hopefully I get a chance to work with many different people this year.
Who are your favorite Influencers/Creatives that inspire your work?
As far as old school fashion bloggers go, Jane Aldridge of Sea of Shoes was my first favorite blogger and still continues to be my favorite out there. Her photography is stunning, her style is the perfect combination of vintage and current, while still being unique to her, and I love her voice. I also love Youtuber Tess Christine, her style is a little more wearable and affordable than Jane’s and her style videos are always spot-on with the look I try to go for.
Tell me one thing that most people may not know about you.
I’m a huge politics nerd. I study political science at school as my minor, love political books, news, podcasts, even politics-related fictional TV shows. And our current political climate is so unprecedented and fascinating, that as much as the news hurts, I’m glued to my Twitter feed all day.
What is your most proud moment you have achieved as a Blogger and Influencer?
My proudest moment yet happened when I was in 9th/10th grade… so maybe I should update it? But when I was 15, I applied to be one of Teen Vogue’s Fashion Click Bloggers, a program they used to have where they would publish the content of bloggers around the globe on their website. It was really hard to get into and the application process took about six months, and the first time I applied I was rejected. I worked on my content and the next time around, I made it. Every time one of my posts was published on Teen Vogue, I was on cloud nine. They even featured me in a couple style articles written by their writers. After a couple years, I took a break from blogging and when I started again, they no longer did the program. It was really cool for me then though, and has inspired a dream to maybe someday work at Teen Vogue as a writer.
Do you have any short or long term goals for the New Year?
This is so cliche, but I want to get back into running/healthier in general. I get very antsy when I’ve been sitting too long, and in Buffalo winters, it’s very easy to stay inside and sit too long. I’ve recently started running again, dragging my boyfriend with me to Delaware Park in the snow, and started going to yoga class. Another goal for the year is to write more, work to improve my writing and build up my portfolio, as well as more regularly update my blog.
Now let’s get a little more personal! Tell me your favorite:
- Instagram account you follow: @overheardla
- Dish you cook: haha… still haven’t mastered that whole cooking thing… scrambled eggs? Does adding milk to a bowl of corn flakes count? I can also make a killer boxed Kraft macaroni and cheese.
- Band or music artist: John Mayer
- Restaurant in Buffalo: Rowhouse
- Clothing boutique: Second Chic
- Lipstick: Marc Jacobs in the shade ‘Infamous’
- Netflix show or movie: Currently, it’s Cosmos. Or Anthony Bourdain. Or Newsroom.
And let’s get a little more personal, shall we:
- If you had the chance to meet and have lunch with anyone in the world, who would it be? This question is so hard. There are so many people I would love to have lunch with. I would really love to meet Emma Watson, not only because I am a huge Harry Potter nerd but also because of her feminist work and activism.
- How would you describe your best friend in 3 words? Kind, supportive, amazing.
- What is the last good book that you’ve read? I’m currently reading Tina Fey’s autobiography Bossypants. it is as hilarious and as witty as you would expect an autobiography written by Tina Fey to be.
- What’s your favorite song on your current dance playlist? New York City or LA? New York City, without question, all day every day.
- Who is your male celebrity crush? Jude Law (specifically in The Holiday).
- 3 things on your bucket list? 1. Travel to every continent. 2. Write cool, impactful stories for one of my favorite news outlets. 3. Live in a big city like NYC for a little while.