“There is enough room in this world for everyone. Please do not shy away from your goals because “someone has already done it.”
Current City: Houston, TX
Hometown: College Station, TX
Hi Haley! Welcome to The Boss Diary! So glad you’re here. Tell me all about your work as a Designer.
Hi and thank you so much for having me! I have been designing and creating textiles for many years now but recently launched my first ever H. Lively pillow collection – all hand drawn, designed and sewn by me! I am super excited at how it has turned out and there are even a few more designs that will be added very soon!
Your hand drawn patterns that you create are absolutely beautiful. What is the process for creating these designs?
Thank you so much! The creative process is a hard one to nail down and it changes all the time! While creating my pillow collection, sometimes the collection itself would tell me what was missing based on color and scale and I would design something that would create the balance I was looking for. Other times, I am more intentional with what I create. Once the hand-drawn portion is complete I use Photoshop and Illustrator to clean it up and make it a seamless pattern!
I love your Instagram feed. Who takes the majority of your photos? And how often do you take photos for your social media and website?
You are just so kind, thank you! The pictures for my social media platforms and website I take myself. Luckily, there are great photo editing apps out there that are extremely user friendly! To keep it simple, all I do is adjust the white balance and brighten it up! Those two things have made all the difference. ☺ And, as far as how often I take photos – constantly!! I hate to admit it but the phone is pretty much glued to my hip (surely I’m not the only one though, right? ☺)!
How do you balance your career and family life? I must say, it seems like you do it pretty well.
Oh, balance, what a fun word! To keep it real, some days are much more balanced than others! Achieving balance for my life as a mom and fempreneur has only come with a change of perspective. The order, healthy eating, regular exercise and checking off that To-Do list that I used to associate with maintaining balance has had to go out the window. Now, I find balance by releasing control (oh the struggle is real there!) and being OK with what I was able to accomplish that day. Also, and it’s a BIG also, I have huge support from my husband and parents. I could not do it without their help and I am so grateful for them.
Today’s age is all about ‘The Digital Age.’ With a powerful advertising platform such as Instagram, brands and small businesses can reach a wider audience. In what ways do you think Instagram has helped you build your brand?
Instagram has been essential for building my brand! It has allowed me to connect with other like-minded people, yourself included, that I would have never met otherwise! There is a lot of competition out there, yes, but social media has opened up doors for artists to find success that weren’t around 10 years ago and I am taking advantage!
Tell me one thing that most people may not know about you.
People are always surprised to find out that I am related to Babe Ruth.
Are there any projects you are working on, and/or upcoming events that we should know about?
Yes, actually! I am working with Framebridge to start framing my textile designs! They will be up on my website soon!
Name one thing that your hometown city is known for that some people may not know.
Most people know College Station because of Texas A&M University but you’d never guess that Freeb!rds Burrito, which is now all over the country, started right there in College Station, across from the University.
Where would you like to be one year from now?
I would absolutely love to collaborate with more brands (large and small) to design fabric for their collections. I also have a few more designs and product ideas up my sleeve for H. Lively that I plan to have available on my website in the near future!
What is one piece of advice you would give to women out there who are looking to start their own business?
There is enough room in this world for everyone. Please do not shy away from your goals because “someone has already done it.” Be more concerned with being authentic, not original.
Now let’s get a little more personal! Tell me your favorite:
- Summer activity: Binge watching a good Netflix series with my husband
- Restaurant in your neighborhood: Alicia’s Mexican – best steak fajita nachos I have ever had!
- Lipstick: Chanel Dialogue
- Color: really into bluish-grays – my pillow collection gives that away!
- Bravo t.v. housewife (wait…do you watch the housewives?): I might if I had cable! We are Netflix addicts!
- Disney movie: The Little Mermaid
And let’s get a little more personal, shall we:
- If you won $20 million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with that money? If I won the lottery I’d hope that I would be a good steward of that amazing gift! I’d set up a college fund for my little man, pay off our home sweet home, put most in the bank but my husband and I aren’t so rigid that we wouldn’t have a little fun. Trip to Greece, maybe? ☺
- How would you describe your best friend in 3 words? Honest, consistent, and jovial
- What is the last good book that you’ve read? Proven by Jennie Allen
- What’s your favorite song on your current dance playlist? Grace Got you by MercyMe
- Number one travel destination in the world? Italy
- Who is your male celebrity crush? Channing Tatum
- 3 things on your bucket list? 1) Build my own house 2) fly in a hot air balloon 3) Visit the Holy Lands