Current City: London, England
Hometown: Potenza, Italy
Hi Maria! Welcome to The Boss Diary! Before we begin, tell us 3 words that best describe you.
Friendly, driven and stylish
Tell us what you do professionally.
Three years ago I graduated as Personal Fashion Stylist at the Casey Paul’s Styling Academy in London. Since then I have worked as stylist for some well known brands including Kate Spade, Saint Laurent and Bottega Veneta, and I am currently working for a premium brand called Monsoon in the role of Personal Shopper and Bridal Stylist. I am also the owner and creative director of Maria Bello Styling and Head Stylist for a British-Nigerian ready-to-wear brand called Jacob’s by OAB.
What happens behind the scenes as a day in the life of a fashion stylist?
It is all clients’ oriented. If i am working at Monsoon every morning I go through my diary to check all the daily appointments and start planning them out. In a day I can have different types of appointments. I may have a client flying overseas for a business trip to a Bride looking for the perfect dresses for herself and the bridal party, or It can be a new mum shopping with her baby looking for practical pieces that make her feel less mumsy. If i am not at the store, I can be busy preparing Colour ,Body Shape and virtual style consultations for my clients or working on the next photoshoot with Jacob’s for which we are also planning a brand launch party. I am also busy with less glamorous and more administrative tasks like finding new clients.
Everyone has a purpose, and it’s so refreshing to find women who are truly living their best life through their passions. How would you define your own purpose?
Fashion has done a lot for me. It has helped me find my voice, become more confident, extrovert and above all to love my body and my looks. When i went into the styling business was with one purpose in mind, I wanted to help women feel good and empowered in their own skin. People often underestimate the power of a good outfit on a bad day, but it totally works. Nothing for me is more rewarding that the broad smile on a clients’ face at the end of a session.
Who are some of your favorite female creatives or business women that you look up to?
There are quite a few of them but my number 1 inspiration is Ms Elin Mai Davis who is the founder of the Style Doctors UK, USA, UAE. She has accomplished so much and she is totally down to earth. I aspire to be like her, or at least work with her one day. She is my inspiration and no matter how many times I have met her , I am always star struck.
Tell me one thing that most people may not know about you.
I am a die-hard Backstreet Boys Fan
Name one thing that your hometown city is known for that some people may not know.
Potenza is a small town in the south of Italy. It was very popular in Roman times as those who were a real threat to the empire where extradited to Potenza and let die.
It has a lot of history, from the Templar’s church, its medieval walls, its folk stories of bandits and the fact that it almost got conquered by the Ottoman Empire
What would the “18-year old you,” say to you today?
Nobody believed you could but you made it!
Before you go, what is one piece of advice you would give to women out there who want to start their own Styling Business?
There is a lot of unpaid work before you will start getting paying clients. Do not let that discourage you as the main purpose is to put your name out there and show your skills. I would also say not to feel demoralized by having a day job in retail as it is all good practice and it helps to finance your styling business.
This or That:
- Thin crust or deep dish: Thin crust … I am Italian!
- Lipstick or chapstick: lip balm 24/7, lipstick on the occasion
- Tea or coffee: coffee, nothing beats a Tall Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks
- Romance movie or horror film: neither, I prefer fantasy and action films
- J Lo or Shakira: J Lo all the way
- Instagram or Facebook: both
- Girls Night Out or Netflix: Night out with my husband
- Where is your next vacation? Italy for my cousin’s wedding
- What is your favorite 90’s jam? Anything Backstreet Boys
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why? I have always been fascinated by Killer Whales. They stand out for their colours, they are mighty and strong but also incredibly cute.
- If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why? Melissa McCarthy, she is gorgeous, she is funny and she can play the role of a diva when needed
- What are three things on your bucket list? A styling internship in Milan or New York, Go to Atlanta, Work for Michael Kors
Pinterest:https://www.pinterest.co.uk/MBelloStyling/Blog/Website:http://www.mbstyling.co.uk/ (it is still a work in progress)