Current City: Chicago, IL (West Loop the Best Loop!!!!)
Hometown: Palos Height, IL
“What people don’t know is that I’ve spent years quietly doing marketing, branding and buying for businesses. I never put all of my cupcakes in one basket. (I don’t like eggs)”
I love the work that you’re doing in fashion and marketing. Tell me about your business and what motivated you to start your brand.
Thank you!!!! My business/brand is basically me sharing what I’ve learned in 15 years of working in the fashion industry. I genuinely enjoy sharing my tips, and tricks. It doesn’t feel like work. I’ve found a way to combine my love of people and style. That’s what motivates me. It isn’t about numbers and likes. Nothing inspires me more than knowing I’ve inspired someone else. What people don’t know is that I’ve spent years quietly doing marketing, branding and buying for businesses. I never put all of my cupcakes in one basket. (I don’t like eggs)
What challenges have you faced as a young entrepreneur? Are there any tools or resources out there that have helped you overcome these challenges? One of my biggest challenges is time!!
I work a full time job. I come from a large family, and married an entrepreneur with an equally as large family so there’s always something going on. I’ve learned to say, “no” and take control of my time. In addition to that, I use aDay Designer. This is my favorite style day planner that allows me to stay organize and focused. It is a game changer!! Lastly, I always write dow ideas in the moment. My iphone notes are filled with dreams!
Today’s age is all about ‘The Digital Age.’ With a powerful advertising platform such as Instagram, small businesses and brands can reach a wider audience. In what ways do you think Instagram helps you build your brand?
Instagram allows me to not only present myself to an audience; it also exposes me to people, brands and business that I otherwise may not have been aware of. It is a perfect two way street. There is a beautiful comradery among bloggers, stylist, and business owners. Most people are willing to collaborate and support each other. No one can make it on their own!
Besides Instagram and Youtube, what other social media platforms do you use? Which platform do you find the most appealing for your brand?
I OCCASIONALLY log in to Facebook. I don’t use my fan page, but my personal page is a fun way to connect with my family and friends without feeling like I need to be “branded”. It allows me to be human and make typos (lol). Instagram is definitely the most appealing and lucrative platform for my brand. I anticipate on exploring YouTube more.
Tell me about the most recent collaboration you’ve done. And are there any creatives in NYC or outside the city that you’d like to work with?
My most recent collaboration was with After Five Klassy Shoes. They have super cute heels! Right up my alley! I did a YouTube video featuring the product. There are SO MANY brands on my collaboration wish list!! Daya by Zendaya, 21 Ninety, Sugarlips, Buzzfeed, JustFab, etc. And I have a laundry list of YouTubers/Bloggers I would like to work with!
Who are your favorite influencers/youtubers that inspire your work?
Kandee Johnson!! I’ve been following her since her YT launched! Her faith and positivity is unprecedented. I also enjoy Kim, The Chic Natural and Jodie, The Brilliant Beauty.
What is your most proud moment that you have achieved as a fashion expert?
Speaking on television as a fashion expert was the top of the pops for me!!! I am working on a super duper exciting project right now that I think will propel me into a new arena and take the number one spot. Stay tuned!!
Now let’s get a little more personal! Tell me your favorite:
- Instagram account you follow: 21 Ninety
- Band or music artist : Behive Member since 1997
- Restaurant in your neighborhood: Au Cheval
- Clothing boutique: I like this boutique in Evanston called, Gigi Bottega.
- Lipstick: NYX liquid lipstick in Soft Spoken
- Netflix show or movie: The last thing I watched on Netflix was “Girl Boss: The Series”
And let’s get a little more personal, shall we:
- If you won $20 million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with that money? Quadruple it by investing in my dreams! And take a month vacation in St.Tropez
- How would you describe your best friend in 3 words? I asked her, and she said, “Ambitious, Kind and Dependable”.
- What is the last good book that you’ve read? Boundaries by Henry Cloud
- What’s your favorite song on your current dance playlist? Beyonce’s Grown Woman gets my turnt every time!
- New York City or LA? LA All Day!!!
- Ice Cream or Gelato? Both!!
- Who is your male celebrity crush? Hmmm…I hadn’t really thought about it! Married 4 years!!
- 3 things on your bucket list? 1. Ride an elephant in Thailand 2. Pursue entrepreneurship full time 3.Live in Orange County, San Diego or Austin.
Blog: porchealondone.com (Subscribe for my style guide, Saving & Slaying: The Ultimate Guide To Shopping on a Budget