Current City & Hometown: Baltimore, MD
Hi Sarahbeth! Welcome to The Boss Diary! Before we begin, tell us 3 words that best describe you. Authentic, Unique and Creative
Tell us what you do professionally.
I own a Boutique Social Media & Marketing Company that works exclusively with small businesses and startups in Baltimore called the Boho Marketing Co. Then on the side, I do my wellness/lifestyle blog!
How do you stay motivated as a full-time blogger and business owner?
I love what I do! That’s the key ingredient in any job that I have, and what really keeps me motivated. Because I love what I do, it never feels like work.
To date, what has been the most memorable moment in your career?
I just recently did a workshop on social media for small businesses where I spoke to an audience for an hour and a half! It was a huge moment for me because I’ve always been terrified of public speaking. Now I feel like I could do it all of the time!
Everyone has a purpose, and it’s so refreshing to find women who are truly living their best life through their passions. How would you define your own purpose?
My purpose, I believe, is to help others live their best lives through their passions. I’ve been on the corporate side (which wasn’t for me) and there were some miserable days. But when I finally reached the goal of being an entrepreneur it changed everything and now I’m so happy. I want, more than anything, to make that happen for others. If they already own their own business, then I want to help them succeed at it through helping them in marketing, and social media. I truly feel that my purpose is to help other entrepreneurs succeed- whatever that means for them.
Who are some of your favorite female creatives or business women that you look up to?
Jen Gotch (ban.do). Jen Gotch is leading the way for creatives (but also anyone) who has a mental illness. So many of us have these types of struggles- it can often go hand and hand- creatives and mental illness. It’s a HUGE message and is just now starting to be de-stigmatized- much due to her. Also a woman named Dr. Tererai Trent. I heard her podcast interview with Marie Forleo (also a fav female creative) and the obstacles that she defeated to get to where she is today- I mean truly humbling and amazing. I was blown away by her story.
Tell me one thing that most people may not know about you.
I’m also the treasurer on the board of the HOA where I live- so random!
Name one thing that your hometown city is known for that some people may not know.
Oh this is hard. Everyone knows about the crabs, old bay, beer and Hopkins… I feel like snowballs are mainly a MD thing …with marshmellow. Like other places have snow-cones or italian ice or whatever form it may take- but I feel like we are the only ones with “snowballs”.
What would the “18-year old you,” say to you today?
Girl you better get ready for the tornado that is about to hit! Hahaha just kidding. I would say, stick it out- it gets better and you do get to have your own business one day. Learn from all of the other jobs as much as you can – because everything that you do along the way, prepares you for later. And maybe don’t quit that one job on the spot- it’s going to be a struggle (ha).
Before you go, what is one piece of advice you would give to women out there who want to start their own blog or business?
Find a mentor. Finding a mentor helped me learn before I made mistakes, make the right connections, and saved me several business deals.
- This or That:
- Thin crust or deep dish: Deep dish (but I do love both)
- Lipstick or chapstick: chapstick..why are my lips always dry?
- Tea or coffee: COFFEE
- Romance movie or horror film: horror
- J Lo or Shakira: oh man this is so hard. Probably J Lo (my best friend will not be happy).
- Instagram or Facebook: instagram
- Girls Night Out or Netflix: depends on the day I had, but I love my girls, so probably that.
- Where is your next vacation? A camping trip in the next few weeks with my dog Ella.
- What is your favorite 90’s jam? Anything by BSB or Britney
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why? A dog. We have so much that we can learn from them.
- If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why? Definitely a redhead… I would hope for Christina Hendricks, she’s such a babe. Plus she has alot of sass like me- so I think it would be a good fit.
- What are three things on your bucket list? Travel as much as possible, make a big difference in someone’s life, run a marathon (or at least a half !)
Instagram: @sarahbethramsey @bohomarketing.co Blog/Website: www.sarahbethramsey.com, bohomarketing.co